Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Heartbreak!

So Braydn made the Provo High Sophomore Baseball Team this year and he was soooooo excited.  Even though the coach let him know that he will really have to work hard this year and that he will be on the bench quite a bit.  Braydn didn't care.  He was excited to have the uniform and be a part of a real team.  Coach let him know a few things that he needed to work on like his speed and his batting and so he has been doing that every chance that he gets.  Coach says that if he improves on those things which he is sure he will than he will be playing in more games by the end of the season.
The first game they put him in as a pinch runner.  The second game they let him bat.  The third game was in Spanish Fork and they did let him run then also.  On the way home he was really upset.  When I asked him what was wrong he told me that he was upset because every kid on the team got a chance to play on the field and bat except him.  His eyes filled with tears and he began sobbing.  There are 2 other boys who are also on the bench most of the time and they got their turn to play in this game.  Terrance was trying to explain to him that a lot of the famous baseball players got off to a rough start and didn't quite have the speed that they needed or they weren't great at batting etc. etc.  I know that he was meaning it all in a good positive way but Braydn was taking it all a completely different way and began to sob even more.    It broke my heart right in half.  It was all that I could do to keep from crying myself.  It is so hard when your kids are hurting inside and there is just not a dang thing you can do for them.   I did what I could to make him feel better.  Tried to explain what his dad meant.  He went to work and when he got home he grabbed his bat and his bag of balls and told Terrance he wanted him to take him to the field so they could do some batting practice.  He said he will keep practicing because he really wants to play!  I love that kid!  I only hope he does grow a little this year because I think that is what he really needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment